Monday, January 7, 2013

Agave Nectar vs. Coconut Nectar: The Secret and Truth About Agave

agave nectar vs. coconut nectar


You probably heard about agave nectar, right? It's mostly used by all these raw vegans as a "natural" sweetness to foods. But did you know that agave nectar isn't what it seems to be? There's a dirty little dark side secret behind "raw agave nectar" that most of you don't know. Let me explain to you the dangers of agave nectar and why your favourite sweetness isn't safe and not really healthy. Let's also compare agave with coconut nectar. I will discuss both in this article.

WHAT IS AGAVE NECTAR:
agave nectar plant

Agave is a succulent plant with rosettes of narrow spiny leaves with tall flower spikes. It almost looks similar to Aloe Vera and a cactus. The sweetener is made from the juice of the agave. The agave plant grows in the deserts of Mexico. Some people prefer the taste of agave over honey. The agave nectar (aka syrup) is heated up into a sugar. They claim the nectar to be "raw" when labeling tricking people into thinking it's an all natural, healthy, raw sweetener.


agave nectar aka syrup

AGAVE NECTAR DANGERS:


agave nectar dangers
Agave Nectar is a scam for a few reasons. It isn't what they claim it to be because it isn't really, truly raw. Agave nectar is highly processed and contains more fructose than high fructose corn syrup! The agave is hydrolyzed at temperatures up to 140 F. for 36 hours, which making the end product containing 95% fructose. High fructose content (which is found in agave) can cause obesity, damage to the liver, diabetes, high glycemic (but wait, they "claim" to be low in glycemic..... Hmmm), and high in blood pressure (they also claim to be low in blood pressure, too. Lies). Pretty much the same dangers and health risks of high fructose corn syrup! Agave nectar is actually the same, but worse! So therefore, agave nectar (raw, organic) is NOT HEALTHY. If you don't believe me, you should really start researching and educating yourself about the truth of agave nectar. Then you'll realize, I'm not lying. Believe or not, all this is real, true facts, folks.

WHAT IS COCONUT NECTAR:
coconut nectar tapping tree

Coconut nectar comes from the coconut tree. The process is a bit similar to maple syrup. The only difference is that maple syrup is highly processed . The coconut tree is tapped and produces a nutrient rich "sap" that exudes from the coconut blossom. The sap is an abundant source of minerals, 17 amino acids, vitamin C, broad-spectrum B vitamins, and a neutral pH. The sap is not processed, which is the number one reason it is better than most of these raw sweeteners. The best brand of coconut nectar is Coconut Secret.

WHAT IS COCONUT SUGAR:
coconut crystals




coconut syrup

COCONUT NECTAR HEALTH BENEFITS:
coconut secret coconut nectar

Coconut nectar is not only delicious, it's super healthy for you, too. It's 100% organic, enzymatically alive meaning it's 100% raw, vegan, fat-free, low glycemic, guilt free, non-GMO, and gluten free. This nectar is great for those who are diabetic. Coconut nectar is truly delicious, pure, and 100% true in facts such as raw, organic and low glycemic. It adds a great addition to cereals, pancakes, waffles, French toast, raw desserts, teas, and anything else you'd like to sweeten up. This coconut nectar is epic and will not cause you health problems in the future. The nectar doesn't have that coconutty taste. Learn more about Coconut Secret.

AGAVE NECTAR VS. COCONUT NECTAR:
AGAVE NECTAR:
• It is similar to high fructose corn syrup, but worse because agave is high in fructose
• can cause obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes, liver disorder, and heart disease
highly processed
• not really raw
high in glycemic (contains half of the glycemic index in sugar)
• high blood pressure
• a scam
• does bad to your body
• bad for diabetics
• can cause mineral deficiency
• weakens the bones
• may cause hair and teeth loss
• and no true good benefits really =(

Agave, you sound deadly and scary. But it IS the TRUTH, people. 

Maple syrup is not either. It can lead to obesity and other risky health risks! Just Google "the dangers of maple syrup" and you'll find lots of info about Mr. Maple Syrup.

COCONUT NECTAR & COCONUT SUGAR:
• BEATS any other nectar and sweetener out there like agave, maple, yacon, stevia and of course all cheap sugars (besides coconut sugar... that's not cheap sugar, anyways).
• it is more nutritious than agave! (HAH take that agave)
100% raw - enzymatically alive
• 100% organic
• vegan
• fat-free
• guilt-free
• non-gmo
• gluten-free
low glycemic (contains 10% fructose)
• neutral pH
• will not cause obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes, or liver disorder
• this is the TRUTH!
• does great to your body
• not highly processed
• it's a full pack epic nectar- containing 17 amino acids
• contains enough sweetness that will satisfy that craving sweet tooth! (plus, it doesn't have that coconutty flavor)
• high in vitamins & minerals
coconut sugar contains healing properties; lowers high glucose, prevents the risk of cancer, great for those who are diabetic & over-weight, etc!
• an A+ for the coconut sugar: you don't feel sick, tired, hyper {no sugar rush! Hmm... that's rare after you eat sugar - not with coconut sugar!} and any other side effects you would get when you eat sugar!
• It's the BEST!!
• and 100% TRUE!! =)
~ basically, all the wonderful health benefits that coconuts contain - the coconut sugar and the nectar contains it, as well. Of course, why wouldn't it? They are both coming from coconuts.

Wow. Doesn't that sound 100% RAWSOME?! I think it does:)

BOTTOM LINE:
So which one sweetener/nectar will you choose: agave or coconut? I recommend using coconut nectar, due to all the great health benefits it has. Yes, I too was shocked at how agave nectar isn't really healthy. I most certainly do not recommend incorporating agave nectar in your diet. Coconut nectar is the truth... however - coconut nectar isn't the BEST raw sweetener to use, because it's refined.

WATCH the video below. Its John Kohler interviewing the top epic raw vegans (including the daddy of raw foods, Dr. Doug Graham!). They can explain why; I agree with them. If you want the best, I'd suggest using date syrup. It's so easy to make; it's the healthiest of ALL sweeteners. 

When I heard almost all these raw and vegans use agave, I was excited to try and use it for the first time. But then I started researching and educating myself on agave and learned so much on how unhealthy it is. Just because labeling says, "low in glycemic", "low in blood pressure", etc., they aren't telling the truth. Just do your own research and see for yourself. Then hopefully, you'll be amazed too.

Don't be fooled about agave nectar. It is NOT natural, nor healthy. If I were you, I would go with coconut nectar all the way! Well, I sure hope you learned something new in this article. Spread the word if you can. Agave is a big fat NO NO! 

My Thoughts & Feelings:
After reading this post, some people will still leave and believe that agave is healthy. It really irks me when people say that "agave nectar is healthy", even though they read this post. I've heard some say that it saddens them that 'agave is poison'. Some may not like or appreciate this post because I really expose agave badly! This is TRUE research facts. If the truth saddens you, then you can't seem to handle the truth! Another thing that irks me is when people know that agave is bad and unhealthy, but yet they give people the option to choose their sweetener such as agave and maple syrup. Okay, I understand that it's great to give people the option to choose their sweeteners, but why would you give them the option to choose a bad, unhealthy, poisoning sweetener?! It's like giving people the option to choose sugar (which is horribly bad) and agave (which is identical to high fructose corn syrup! yeah, you tell me that's not poisoning.) Basically, it's like giving people the option to choose their poisoning sweetener of choice! Often times I ask them, "if you know agave is bad, why do you recommend it to others"? They reply, "I like to give people the option to choose what they want and prefer." 

If you had to choose between agave over coconut nectar, choose coconut nectar. If you had to choose between white and/or brown sugar over coconut sugar, choose coconut sugar, as it's way healthier. But to be honest (the bottom line is), I don't recommend coconut sugar and I don't recommend coconut nectar, as it's both refined sugars. The best sugars are dried fruits, such as dates. 

The part I don't understand is, why give people the option to choose something that's bad, when you have other better alternatives. When it comes to recommending things to others, don't recommend them something that's poison and unhealthy; if people want to choose the poison, unhealthy option, that's on them. At least you didn't recommend it to them. This topic is really, really deep. I am not exaggerating when I say agave is poison and all. It's true! People love their agave and maple syrup so much, it's hard for them to let it go and heard for them to believe their favorite sweetener is causing so many bad health issues. Oh, and another thing I hear them say is, "eat it in moderation, you'll be fine"! Like seriously?! No! Not even in moderation; it's NOT GOOD FOR YOU!! It's like saying, "I know sugar isn't good for me, but it's okay to eat to eat it in moderation." "Oh, I know this drug is bad for me (smoking, etc.) but it's okay if I do it in moderation." See my point... I hope. Go do yourselves a favor - do your own research before you go talking about agave and any topic. 

Before I wrote this post, I did a wealth load of research prior to writing this, so I know what I'm talking about. Like I said, Do Your Own Research! Don't just take my word for it, see for yourself on Google. Maybe then you'll believe me. 


Ignorance Is Bliss. 

Choose your sweets wisely, my friends! :)


agave vs coconut nectar

Please feel to post a comment! If you appreciated this post, please don't hesitate to let me know. I would love to hear your thoughts about this topic. Also, share this post with family, friends or whomever. This post can really change and enlightened a person's way of thinking about sweeteners. Don't eat sugar, you're sweet enough ;) Sharing is caring! 

15 comments:

  1. Thank you so much!! I am giving my first Raw Demo at Sunspot all natural market where I will be making the Strawberry Cheesecake. I was nervous because I wanted to promote the Coconut Nectar but I was a little unsure of the problems with agave. This post helped a lot, I really appreciate it! All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and thank you for commenting!! And your VERY welcome! :) I'm so happy you read this post, as it gave you a better understanding on the dangers of agave. :D I'm glad you appreciate this post, as it means a lot to me! ;) Now you can be confident and proud to promote Coconut Nectar. They're the best! =)

      Good luck at your first Raw Demo! All the best to you, too! <3 X

      Delete
    2. I always wondered about cocomut nectar v agave. thansk for enlightening me on this. i will certainly be using the cocnut nectar from now on. Thanks

      Delete
    3. Your very welcome! My pleasure :) Happy to hear that this post enlightened you on the truth =D

      Delete
  2. The Foodie Fuel Team really enjoyed reading this post! We are a huge fan of coconut sugar, and all coconut products! Thanks for sharing your article! It provides some much needed information on agave nectar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'm a big fan of coconut in all its forms and never use agave nectar. I was looking to get a bit more information on the sugar content of coconut nectar but you haven't seem to have provided any. In fact I found your article light on content and high on bias. After your information on the agave nectar you might as well have written "coconut nectar, good, yum". So are you saying in your article that coconut nectar has no fructose whatsoever. If so great I will be happy to hear it, if not why didn't you mention its percentage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mr. Todd,

      I appreciate your comment and the great laughter for the day about me being bias. As a matter of fact, that is far from the truth. I provide information on a non-bias form. As my blog CLEARLY states, "Do Your Own Research."

      If you're looking for a bit more information and since my blog post doesn't provide that, I would suggest you continue looking elsewhere.

      Thanks for the suggestion about writing a post about "coconut nectar, good, yum". I may just do that. Stay on the lookout for that.

      Coconut nectar has 10% fructose compared to agave, which is 95%. I really hope you find this information of value, Mr. Todd.

      Bottom Line: Coconut nectar and coconut sugar isn't the best sweetener, because it's refined sugar. Watch the video in the post, and you'll hear it from the experts in this lifestyle.

      Have great day!!!

      Delete
    2. Miliany, bottom line, great post!

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for this! Do you happen to have any sources on how Blue Agave is actually heated up to those temperatures to create the product? And any sources for the other facts about Blue Agave? Also, I think Blue Agave has taken the 'Raw' part off of their label now ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Sarah, I did provide sources on how agave is made. If you click on 'agave nectar isn't what it seems to be' it will take you to this site: http://www.living-foods.com/articles/agave.html. The post clearly talks about how agave is heated up to those temperatures.

      Blue agave is just as bad as agave nectar. Both are very heavily processed. Blue agave goes through the same process as agave nectar. Do your own research and you'll see for yourself. :)

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much! I have known for a while from my research that agave is actually bad for you... so I have been trying to find what I could replace my agave with. Will have to try this coconut nectar out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miliany, you are one amazing young lady, I am a 47 year old woman, and I have learned so much today from your site and its links. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! :) I am so happy to hear that you learned a lot from my blog! Thanks for commenting and letting me know!

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for this article, it has really answered the questions that I was googling. I was aware that agave syruop is bad and so I stay away from it, but I reLly didn't know why. What a shocker to learn
    that it'sjust as bad as high fructose corn syrup!! Meanwhile, I've been using the coconut syrup for a couple of months now and really love it, but I've been very concerned that it could be just as bad as the agave. Your fine and unbiased reporting has cleared my doubts. Again, thank you. I don'tmean for this post to be anonymous, it was the only choice I had to be able to post as I don't have the other accounts. My name is Alice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Alice!

      Thank you so much for your comment!! I'm so happy to hear that this post was helpful for you, I appreciate it.

      A more natural syrup you can use, is raw honey or date paste. It'snot processed or refined, making it a healthier and more natural sweetener choice.

      I know some people don't have the accounts listed above to comment, which is why I give "anonymous" as an option.

      Delete

Send me some love by posting a nice comment. Your comment will appear visible after approval.

ShareThis